Caroola Farm Hearty Beef Soup
SERVES 12 (1-cup servings) TOTAL TIME 2 Hours
2 kg beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 – 1 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 shallot, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups beef stock
1 cup Red wine
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
4 cups chopped red potatoes, bite size pieces
3 cups chopped baby carrots, bite size pieces
fresh parsley to serve, optional
- Trim fat from beef (as desired) and cut into cubes.
- Combine flour, paprika, pepper and 1 teaspoon salt in a large resealable bag. Seal and shake to combine. Add beef and shake until well coated.
- Warm olive oil in a heavy based pan, over medium high heat, then add butter. Once butter is melted, carefully add beef around half at a time.
- Brown beef on all sides
- Add diced shallot and minced garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add wine and deglaze pan by scraping up the browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
- Add beef stock, Worcestershire and Italian seasoning, remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Return beef to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer. Allow soup to simmer 40 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Stir to coat vegetables and cover. Simmer 40-50 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. Taste broth. If necessary, add additional salt to taste
Serve with fresh parsley