Roundhouses are an ancient building method dating back to as early as the Bronze Age. These structures are quick, easy and cheap to set up and are a perfect building option to create a guest room, shed space or a studio.
This workshop will be led by Dan Harris-Pascal who has studied natural building and Bio-construction in Australia, New Zealand and Chile. The wattle and daub roundhouse emerged by blending a range of natural building techniques.
Over the weekend we will study the different components of a building and construct a foundation, roof and walls using non-toxic, accessible natural building methods and techniques. We will also discuss natural render and give you the skills to start your own at home.
What you’ll learn:
- Site selection for Buildings
- Understanding Insulation and Thermal mass
- Soil testing for suitability in mud bricks, earth render and light-earth construction
- Principles of Reciprocal Roof Construction
- Building Earthbag Foundations
- Laying Earthbag Foundations
- Reciprocal Roof Construction
- Soil testing and assessment
- Wattle and Daub wall construction